The Temper Trap: Australian Band with Indonesian Taste

TTT or The Temper Trap, the name could be familiar to your ears, especially for those who love indie-rock music. Yeah, The Temper Trap is an Australian indie-rock band from Melbourne formed by Dougy Mandagi as vocalist and guitarist, Jonathon Aherne as bass-guitarist, Toby Dundas as drummer, Lorenzo Sillitto as lead guitarist, and Joseph Greer as keyboardist and multi-instumentalist. All of band members are active from 2005 until now except for Joseph Greer who started joining the band in 2008.

from left to right: Dougy, Lorenzo, Joseph, Toby, Jonathon.

 from left to right: Jonathon, Joseph, Dougy, Toby, Lorenzo.

Well, the first time I listened to the band's single called Sweet Disposition was in 2009 when I was watching a comedy-romantic movie starred by Zooey Deschanel called 500 Days of Summer. The song was featured in the teaser trailer for the movie, appears in the movie itself and is on the movie's official soundtrack. It was ear-catching since the vocalist's voice is unique in the beginning of the song and got something different in the middle. The first album called Condition was released on June 19th 2009 with 10 songs. They were nominated in Australian and world music awards and won some categories. It was great for a newcomer band, right? :D

What makes the band special to me is that the vocalist came from Indonesia, exactly from Manado. Dougy's voice character is just like Chris Martin's from Coldplay and Søren Huss' from Saybia, so I never thought that he is Indonesian and I didn't even realize it until I Googled it and watched the music video of Sweet Disposition on Youtube. I finally believed when his Indonesian face surely told me that he is really an Indonesian. :D Well it's a very excellent thing to know another Indonesian musician can go abroad and exist in one of world's famous bands.

Dougy Mandagi with Indonesian smile :)

If you ask me to choose best songs from the first album then I will say Sweet Disposition (of course :D), Fader, Down River, Soldier On, and Drum Song. You will find Indonesian taste from those songs. Trust me! :D


Here are their music videos I found on Youtube:

Sweet Disposition (Directors Cut)
Fader

References:

Photographs:

No comments:

Post a Comment