Capturing the Milky Way Using EOS 550D


Stargazing or night sky watching is always my favorite thing to do when the night sky is clear. I can see billions of stars twinkle beautifully and if I'm lucky enough I can see some shooting stars right through my eyes. And you know, beside stargazing, it'd be so much fun for me to capture those stars into photographs. One of my favorite objects I love to capture up there is the Milky Way. If you're not familiar with the words and wonder what it is, you can visit this link first. Well I can say that capturing night sky is not easy yet not too hard. You can try yourself to photograph the Milky Way using your DSLR. Don't worry about your photography skill or your DSLR level since you can explore your camera settings and do some trial. Here I give you my experience when I captured the Milky Way yesterday nearby my house.
If you don't know exactly where the Milky Way is, you can track it first using an application called Stellarium. Just download it from these links. And oh, the best time to see the Milky way is between February and September since it appears more clearly.
I took my EOS 550D with wide kit lens (18-55mm), remote shutter, and tripod. Remote shutter is optional since if we don't have one we can still use the timer in shooting menu while tripod is a must. I started to watch the sky at about 10 PM. The sky was so clear and it didn't take a long time for me to find the Milky Way. It's above my head a little bit to south. I tried some setting for capturing it to see some differences and here are the results.

ISO 640, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 35 seconds, automatic white balance using Magic Lantern
ISO 640, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 35 seconds, automatic white balance using Magic Lantern
ISO 800, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 45 seconds, 4000K white balance using Magic Lantern
ISO 800, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 45 seconds, 4000K white balance using Magic Lantern
ISO 400, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 35 seconds, automatic white balance using Magic Lantern

ISO 400, focal length 18mm, aperture f/3.5, shutter speed 35 seconds, automatic white balance using Magic Lantern




No comments:

Post a Comment